When we got home from the vacation, we came home to 40+ tomatoes. No one had watered the tomatoes while we were gone (Jon had watered them, while I and the kiddos were gone, but for over a week they went dry) They still produced a bunch of tomatoes, but that was basically the last of the season...
Well, a couple of things...we got rid of the first pool we had, because it wasn't working right...the top ring kept on deflating, and the pump didn't work right. Well, this 'first pool' was actually our second pool. We got a dinky little 5 foot pool with 1 foot sides, for the kiddos to try...it was really cheap, and I thought it would be a good way for them to get wet and cool off, but the sides kept falling in, and it was more annoying then anything. But seeing how much the kiddos enjoyed even playing in that amount of water convinced us to try a 'step up'. Then, of course, that one didn't work, either. Well, just a few days ago we replaced the pool with an even bigger pool. The first pool was 14' X 3'. This new pool is 18' X 4'. It is such a better quality pool, so far. So much bigger, the pump has better hp, and there were more accessories, like a skimmer, and pool 'vacuum'. Oh, and did I mention that it's bigger? We have to key lock our back door, now. So that the kiddos won't go in the backyard without supervision. Ben has to swim with an adult, cause the water is over his head. He LOVES every minute of it, though. He loves to 'bounce' of the bottom, get a breath, and then swim to the ladder, to me or daddy, or a floaty toy. He doesn't stay in one place for very long. Zaelynn is learning to be a little fish. She can swim from one place to another pretty good. She hasn't quite got the knack of breathing while swimming, but she is tall enough that she can just stand up when she needs a breath. Jakob has been a little fish for a long time...both he and Zae would spend hours out in the pool if we let them. I am going to have to get a solar cover, so that we can extend out the swimming season.
Another thing we no longer have are our Chickens. We had a great time with them, and enjoyed having them. The kiddos LOVED collecting the eggs, and chasing the chickens around. Well, one of the chickens died...we're not sure what happened. She had water, food and shade. But it's been so hot, I probably would have passed out and died out there, too. The other 2 chickens we sold to a family with a little mini-farm in Phoenix. Jakob was the saddest, and couldn't keep the tears at bay.
Jon was in a 'fender bender' about a month or so back. He was coming home from an orientation at the school, and while turning into the driveway, some smacked into the back corner of his truck. They must have been going REALLY fast. There were skid marks from 2 houses back. The car ended up under the truck, and the impact threw the 2 bikes out of the back of the truck. (he was bringing them home for a couple of neighbor girls.) Jon was even turning right into the driveway, there were no other cars on the street, no one parked on the other side of the street...yet the driver didn't even try swerving. The police were called, and the car got as many citations as the cop could come up with. Failure to control vehicle, speeding in a residential zone, no license plate, etc. Well, I called their insurance to put a claim on the damage that was done to the truck, come to find out they had let their insurance lapse. Just wonderful news! (not) At least the truck only sustained a pretty good sized dent, nothing that impairs the driving. Can't say the same for the damage of the car. Before the cops showed up, the people in the car tried starting the vehicle to get away. Didn't happen...there was fluid dripping everywhere, and the vehicle had to be towed-it was impounded. We are looking for a little commuter car for Jon, anyways. It costs too much to fuel up the truck every week.
Now for me...I will share my bargain, and my failure of the summer. First the failure, cause then maybe it will be forgotten in the 'amazement' (haha) of my bargain. Well, our neighbor's just south of us moved out, cause they could no longer afford their house payments. They moved into an apartment, and cut their living space in half. Well, they gave us their ping-pong table. I was excited, cause I really like to play ping-pong. Well, after it had sat in our basement for a few weeks, I realized that it was more of a hindrance, then anything. It just took up way to much room, and our kiddos are really too small to enjoy ping-pong. So, I decided to list it for sale on Craig's list. First I looked up the price of a new one, which is around $300. So I listed it for $100. I got a LOT of responses. It was just a matter of choosing one of the many people interested. (From someone wanting to use it for their 'around the world' parties -didn't choose them-, to someone who said they had been 'inspired' by the Olympics ping-pong tournaments-wanted to pick them.) Well, in trying to disassemble the table, I ended up breaking of a corner of the table. Frustrating, but kind of fixable, I just planned to bring the price down to maybe $50 or $70. Well, then in trying to get it up the stairs we (a friend and I) TOTALLY broke the base of the table. So, this $100, VERY popular table became landfill material within a half hour time. I decided to list it for 'free' on Craigslist after all of that. My posting was pretty pathetic. hehee. I even got a couple of sympathy e-mails. I gave it to a guy that planned to use it as a work surface in his garage. So, hopefully it is being put to some sort of use.
Ok, onto the success story you need to remember. (Especially Curtis...my Bro in Law who is always teasing me about my 'bargains', and finds) Well, I was at a yardsale (of course, I can't resist them...I need a bumpersticker that reads: Caution, I brake for yardsales) At this yardsale there was a Piano for sale. It was older, and had seen much better days. They were just marking it down from $50 to $25. I asked if I could please look inside the piano, and when we looked inside there were webs and dust everywhere. But the strings and pads all looked in pretty good shape. All of the keys played, and it even had a bench. (it was in worse shape then the piano, but there WAS a bench). So, I asked if they would be willing to take $10 (cause that is what I had on me...well, actually I had $11, but I had picked up a couple of other odds and ends at their yardsale) They agreed on the $10. Then came the hard part...getting the piano home. It was HEAVY. I went home and got the truck, and then between 4 of us, we were able to get it onto the truck. Then it took 3 of us (and luck) to get it out of the truck, once we got home. I had actually gotten this piano in case my sister wanted to try and get it to her house, cause I know she wants a piano. Well, I cleaned the piano up as much as possible...my neighbor brought over his air compressor and blew out some of the dust. Then he brought in the 'big guns'...his leaf blower. That took care of any webs, dust or debris left in the piano. Well, after talking with my sister, we decided it would be too much of a pain trying to get this heavy, old piano to Utah...so, I listed it on Craigslist. And, you guessed it...I sold it. A lady bought it to match her 'rustic' decor. Her son was planning to start taking piano lessons, and the lady wanted a piano that wouldn't clash with her decor. I wonder how it looks. Are you curious what I sold it for? $150!! So, it almost makes up for the whole ping-pong table incident. (oh wait, I wasn't supposed to bring that up.)
Another great thing we are doing this year...we are hosting an exchange student. His Name is Pedro. He is 16 years old. It's been fun getting to know him. He is going to the High school close by. It's a fun and unique opportunity for our family. One of his favorite things is BASEBALL, it will be neat to watch him play when the season starts.
1 comment:
Stephanie, so fun to catch up on your lives! Wow, great job on the piano find! Made $150 woohoo!!
Post a Comment