Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Family Dynamics

I bought a used doll the other day (one that is a bit heavier then a normal doll, so it 'feels' more real), and I kwas amazed at how my 4 and 7 year olds were fascinated with the baby. Maybe because I said it was 'my' baby, and dressed her in real baby clothes, it was different then a regular doll. I think they would love having little ones around.

During the last year or so I have been swinging back and forth from one end of the spectrum to the other, when it comes to considering whether or not to increase our family. For us, we can't go the 'normal' route, so we get to go with plan 'B', 'C' or even 'D'. Fertility, Adoption, Foster Care, are basically some of the different options we have for adding to our family. Each have their own pros and cons, which I will delve into just a bit.

There are a number of factors to consider when deciding to change the dynamics of your family. It's not a light decision. If we choose to bring another little soul into our family, we need to be prepared for the impact they will have. This little person will play an integral part in our family make-up, just as each of us do, right now.

Now, if we consider doing Foster Care, will that 'shake up' the apple cart too much?! We would make huge changes in our lives, yet they would most likely be temporary changes...the children are most often reunited with their biological families. This might be a great opportunity for growth with our children. Helping and teaching and loving these children. Learning to serve. Having them temporarily bless our home, and leaving a 'fingerprint upon our hearts'.

I kind of shy away from fertility. Not only because of the cost issue, but also I am afraid to get my hopes to high, and my expectations up, just to have them possibly crash down. Besides the fact that my hubby would probably need medical attention while I was in labor...since he would probably be close to fainting. And he truly hates the sound of someone throwing up...I would probably be one of the unlucky ones that would be sick during most of the pregnancy.

Adoption, of course, is an option. Which we have truly embraced. Adoption is HUGE for us. We have been blessed many times over through adoption. The hardest part of adoption is getting certified, and then the W-A-I-T... Waiting and wondering WHEN?!

So, I suppose we should approach this as a united family front, and keep it constantly in our prayers and thoughts. The prayers and hopes of our children will surely be heard and answered. If the answer is that we are complete, I hope that I can find peace with that answer. In fact, often times I can't imagine stretching our resources (time, love, energy, money, patience etc) to include another...but I know that it is possible, if it is to be.

No comments: