K...there is this song that Jakob and I like to sing. It's called 'Goin' Camping.' I only know part of the song...something like this:
'Goin' camping, feels so good. Camping, here in the woods. Camping. Oh, how I love to go Camping.'
So, if anyone knows the real lyrics..please let me know. Then Jakob and I might spare the ears of the rest of our family.
Well, we did go Camping last night...for Jakob's birthday. We had decided a couple of weeks ago that we would rather do that, then to have a party with a bunch of 5 and 6 year olds. ;) That didn't change Jakob inviting all of his friends to his 'birthday party'. Kinda embarassing, actually. The Charter owner of the school that Jakob attends called a couple of days ago, and mentioned how cute and fun she thought Jakob was, and that her little grandson Brinnon really likes him, they have a great time together. Then she brought up the birthday party, saying that Jakob had told Brinnon that he was having a party, and then she said that they would love to com. Then I get to explain how my son had mis-informed her grandson, and probably half his class. I would still much rather 'deflect' all of these unecessary invites and go camping then to have a b-day party. ~shudder~ We did the b-day party thing last year. I am not as extreme and elabrate as most parties. Pizza, cake, icecream, balloons...there is your party. So, really not so bad. The camping was better, though.
I just realized that all of our kiddos have summer birthdays. Well, birthdays that are in the hottest time of the year. Jakob's Sept 16th, Zae's May 20th, and Benjamin's June 20th. Can't really have a fun outdoor party, because it is too HOT. Especially the June and Sept b-days. Well, today wasn't too bad, last year was hotter, but it was still pretty hot.
Ok...back to the birthday camping. We went up toward Payson, AZ. Then a bit further east to Tonto Creek. We didn't get to a our camp spot until after dark. That was really interesting trying to set up a tent and light fire (that was in a damp fire pit) by the headlights of the van. We were finally able to get the tent up, and the fire took a little longer to really get going. (like over an hour!) We didn't eat our tinfoil (hobo) dinners until around 10:30pm. 2 of the kiddos had gone to bed by then...but Jakob stayed up...probably the sugar high from all the marshmellows he was eating.
It got pretty chilly during the night...plus it was HARD. We didn't have an airmattress. Talk about uncomfortable. Oh well, you gotta camp that way every once in awhile, as to enjoy our comfortable beds more.
During the night an animal tried getting into the tent, and was scratching along the base of the tent, in the back. I wish there had been a window, so I could have seen what it was. Probably like a squirrel, or something. Even though there were signs everywhere that said 'Bear Country' and 'lock up your food, as to not attract bears' I really doubt it was..it was smaller, anyways...cause it was down lower. It was scratching at the tent right at Benjamin's head! Ben had wiggled his way over to the edge of the tent...and when I heard the noises out side, I at first thought it was Ben moving around, but then I saw that he was asleep...so I picked him up and moved him...cause that just weirded me out, something rubbing the tent right at his head.
Well, after a restless night...we got up and Jon started another fire (much easier then the night before) We had wrapped cinnamon rolls in tinfoil to heat up, and I had brought hot chocolate but no kettle or pan to heat water up in. Jon had to show me how a paper cup with water in it wouldn't burn. I wanted to heat up water. So, he did his paper cup thing...I rinsed out a pop can. His paper cup thing worked, kinda. It burned clear down to the water level, and there were ash pieces in the water. It was a cool 'experiment' though. Jakob thought it was pretty neat, too. Well...we used the water from the pop can for the hot chocolate.
Ok...then we went up the road a ways to go fishing. It is pretty country. It was nice to have cool air to walk in. Instead of the stifling heat here in the 'Valley of the Sun'. We weren't at the creek long, when I smelled a distinct odor. I figured that Zae was still stinky from having a poopy accident in her pants earlier. (After we had just taken her to the potty). Well, I ask her...she pointed to the water and said it was the water the stunk. Well, I checked...it wasn't the water. So, a SECOND accident. She can go and go and go, holding in #1...but when it comes to #2, ggrrr. (At least out in nature) Well, I was NOT a happy camper at that point. I get her last set of clothes, and then some soap and wet wipe...I then proceed to dip her in the creek. Bbrrr... It got her clean, and I am hoping that it will be a reminder of using a TOILET next time. LOL. Or at least behind a rock.
Well, Jakob had started hopping from rock to rock, by this time. So Zae didn't want her shoes back on. (Amazing she wanted to even touch that cold water, again) She's dippin' her toes in, and Jakob is playing leap frog on the rocks, and slips. Down he goes in the frigged water. He is soaked to the skin.
By this time we have decided to give up on the fishing thing. Poor Jon...hardly ever gets a chance to go..and when we finally do we have 1 child having an accident in her pants, another falling into the creek and the 3rd whining cause he can't move because of all the rocks.
We headed up to the Fish Hatchery and fed the frenzied fish. Wow! Some of those fish were big. Too bad there was no fishing allowed. ;)
Soon after we headed home...stopping through McDonald's drive threw for something to eat. (Jakob's choice) When we got home Jakob and I made him a 'Winnie the Pooh' cake. It didn't work to well, cause the bottom was a bit rounded when we were putting the frosting on, and fell a part. It still tasted good. Jakob loved putting the sprinkle sugar on. I think Jakob much more enjoyed making and decorating his cake, then buying a store bought one. That boy loves being in the kitchen.
Oh...after the cake was done, and while it was cooling, we all went to Walmart. So that Jakob could pick out a bike. I am glad we let him choose it, cause I was going to get him a spiderman bike...but it didn't seem to work as well when he tried to ride it. He found a Hot Wheels bike, and really liked it. Especially cause it comes with it's own water bottle, and a place to put it on the frame. Now all we need to do it take off the training wheels. We will probably put them on his smaller bike, and start letting Zae learn how to ride. (Jakob learned to ride last year, probably around Thanksgiving time.)
So, I hope Jakob enjoyed his b-day today. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment