Saturday, February 14, 2009

Bountiful Baskets, Backyard weeds and Sprouting

 

Bountiful Baskets

I have participated in a co-op 2 times, now. It is called 'Bountiful Baskets'. It started out as a couple of ladies wanting to get fresh produce, and then it escalated and snowballed from there...now there are hundreds of participants. The produce is very fresh and tasty. They also do bread, and bulk items (such as a case of tomatoes). I wrote a list of the items I got this last time, and being the ever-present bargain hunter, I plan to make a trip to the farmers market, and compare prices. I am thinking pricing might be pretty comparable. If so, I will stick with the Bountiful Baskets, because produce is fresher. If their is a considerable price difference (with Farmers market being less) I will most often go to them, and probably only do an occasional Basket. (It ends up being 16.50 for the 2 baskets full of produce, so not bad..but that is usually about what I spend at Farmers Market, and I get a lot there, too)

 

 

SPROUTING

On Thursday night I and my friend Candace went to an Enrichment activity that taught about Sprouting and Square foot gardening. I have studied up on these things, before. But I still learned a lot that night. (hands on is SO much more impressionable.) I will post more about what I learned in the Sprouting and Gardening classes on my Preparedness blog: http://prepareandshare.blogspot.com Just a little teaser from each: You can grow a Sweet Potato Tire garden tower. You can make 'bread' from wheat alone. (no yeast, flour, sugar, salt) So, you just might want to head over to my preparedness blog, if I have peaked your interest. LOl

 

CHEEZYS?!
Any of you heard of Cheezys? (you may know them by a different name...I have NO idea how they ended up being called that) Well, that is what we called the little green balls that you had to peel. They come from a weed that grows rampant during the rainy season. (especially in Southern UT, where I grew up) Well, a couple of summers back I taught Jakob about 'cheezys', so...fast forward to 2 or 3 days ago, you have Jakob racing into the house FULL of excitement. 'I found cheezys, I found cheezys', he screams. And that's exactly what he had done. He had found 2 cheezys in our back yard...he and Zae each proceeded to peel and eat them. Of course when I went to check out the noxious weed...there weren't any cheezys to be found. So, I can't even get a real picture. Just of the weed, itself.

2 comments:

Polly said...

I was just thinking about cheesies the other day, but then I was wondering if it was just my imagination. But I remember squatting down out behind our school and picking them and peeling the leaves off the pod then eating the inside. So, can I get a start from you, hehe?

Unknown said...

I didn't even think to keep the weed, as a 'start' for cheezies elsewhere...great idea. It would be a good thing for sustainable-living, and I will leave it at that.