As many know, I have had a tough time of it trying to decide what school to put Jakob in this year. Last year he went to Ben Franklin, and they felt that he wasn't quite ready for 1st grade, and needed to repeat kindergarten. I disagreed with this, totally. I didn't want Jakob to start back at learning your ABC's and 1,2,3's. (I know...Kindergarten IS a bit more advanced then that.)
So, this past couple of months I have been on a mission in deciding where he should go. Anyone that would listen, I would ask their advice. This was pretty much split vote. Everyone had good reasoning as for why they thought Jakob should repeat K or not. Some reasons for repating K: Top of the class, one of the older ones (instead of almost youngest), stronger learning foundation. Reasons for going on to 1st: Not starting back at learning colors and letter sounds, more structure, staying with his peers.
There were more then this...but these were just a few of the back and forth ideas. I pretty much stuck with the fact that I wanted him in 1st this year. Well, I went to the normal public school...and they said that they would be taking the transcripts of the old school, and their recommendations, so he would also have to repeat K there. (Unless he accelled in most areas...which I figure they would put a higher standard on what he had to know, before they would let him go on up to 1st.)
Just a week ago is when I finally narrowed it down to 2 schools. The regular public school (trying to convince them to test him BEFORE school started, they said No) and New Horizon. It is a Charter School. They are a Preforming Arts School. They do a lot of singing, dance and band. (band isn't until 4th grade) Well, I took a tour of the facilities, it is VERY small, and only has 1 class per grade. I liked it, though. They also where 'uniform'. If you can call sweat shorts or pants, and a T-shirt a uniform. They have to be comfortable to dance, and such. It was much easier doing school shopping, at least. Just bought the clothes right there at the school.
I like the 1st grade teacher. She just started back teaching last year. (She had taken time off, except for some teacher aid work, to raise her family.) There was only 1 thing that I was a little worried about...when she met Jakob by chance, while we were at the school office, she looked at him and said 'Wow!' and gestered with her hand, to mean that he was short/little. Then she started to say it. '...he's...' and before she could get the next word in, wether it was going to be 'short' or 'little', I butted in with 'he's adorable'. I think/hope that may have given her the idea that I really don't want a stigma placed on him, especially from his teacher.
Jakob seems to like school, so far. (He has only been to 3 days) It's cute...he will come home and say, 'I want to float an egg.' (That's what they did the first day, with baking soda and flour...you could tell, he had flour all over his shirt) The next day he came home, and said 'give me something I don't like to eat.' So I gave him a piece of pepperoni from a pizza. (He normally picks them off) Well, he proceeded to plug his nose and eat it. Saying that you don't taste things that way...that is one thing they learned that day. Today I sent pizza with him to school, I asked him if he wanted me to leave the pepperoni on, he said yes, that he would just plug his nose. Cracks me up. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment