Today was our 3rd class (out of 10) in our Foster Classes. We had to have our mile high stack of paperwork done by today. Well, Jon was filling out a particular section that talked about our 'home life'. If we live in an apartment or home, what our children are like, what we like to do with them, if we had any animals, etc. After consulting with me on a few of the different answers, he was completed, except for a couple. he said, 'there are a couple of questions that you are going to have to answer'. I was a bit perplexed, but didn't think much of it. Until I read the 2 questions...then I had to laugh!! heheheee
-Describe any pets you have. Please give the type of pet, name, and how long the pet has been in your family.
-If a child placed with you were afraid of your pet(s), or became allergic to the pet, what would you do?
If you know Jon very well, you realize that domestic animals rate down their around cockroaches and mice. He doesn't really have anything against animals such as dogs, cats, chickens, etc....but he would MUCH rather said animals were living under someone else's roof, or in someone else's yard.
Jon's 'dry humor' way of coping with any animals we may acquire (such as our current cat, Teddy) is to pretend that they don't exist, or that they are invisible. Well, his 'nick' name for said animal(s) is 'DRAGON'. You might ask why. Well, the definition of Dragon just might give you a clue: a mythical monster, usually represented as a large reptile with wings and claws, breathing out fire and smoke. Or you can derive a clue from the movie 'Pete's Dragon', where the Dragon is invisible, and supposedly a figment of Pete's imagination.
So, basically Jon says that Teddy is all in our imagination, that we don't have a cat living in our house, but instead a Dragon. You can maybe understand why he left those 2 questions blank...it would be totally against his years of built up pretense and imagination, and would totally go against the grain if he were to answer them. (I can just see the perplexing look on their faces if he would have said 'we have a Dragon')

4 comments:
Dragon... isn't that the name of the cat in the Rat's of Nimh? As I recall, that cat was nothing but trouble, and deserved getting drugged. I'm with Jon on this one, although I'm not sure I'd be able to imagine in not being there. In fact, I'd probably try to dump it at the neighbor's any chance I got.
Hey Congrats on the foster care classes. I am so proud of you. Wish I were heading in the same direction. After this baby is born they will not let us do foster care. Only 6 kids in the house they say.
I tend to side with Jon on this one, too, although when I get my farm, I want a watch dog or two and maybe a couple of mousers, that all live outside, of course. Michael and Rimi said they went out one morning and their cat was completely white, whiskers and all, from the frost during the night. LOL
Good luck on all the red tape with the foster certifying. You know I've been there and know what it's like.
Yeah - I'm kind of with Jon on this one. I'm not too much of an animal lover myself. So we do have a pet - a pet rabbit and it is solely an outside animal! :)
Sounds like Fostering will be an exciting adventure!! :)
Post a Comment